Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Oops! Another one remembered

I forgot that I did a buddy-read with BoilerBaby 3. She chose the book The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles, by Julie Andrews Edwards bka Mary Poppins. What a wonderful book. I wish that I had been aware of it when my first two were younger.

Edwards tells a wonderfully fantastic story about three children and one old professor who set out to find the last Whangdoodle, a mystical creature that changes color, depending on his mood, and grows new houseslippers periodically. The story is filled with fantastic creatures like an Oinck, a Whifflebird, a High Behind Splintercat, and of course, the Flutterbyes. I wish I could travel by way of a Jolly Boat, powered by jokes, with a machine that magically creates any kind of ice cream treat one could imagine. In between the lush descriptions, Edwards weaves lessons about the virtues all children should strive to develop: friendship, trust, compassion, perseverence, and most of all imagination. Plus there are bits of science and general knowledge thrown in for good measure.

I will have to remember to read this book with BoilerBaby 4 when he's of the right age.

No comments: