Saturday, September 4, 2010

Chugging along




I loved the first two books in this series; this book, not so much. It lacked a consistent central theme. Katniss's role as the Mockingjay seemed to make little sense, as the book lurched from one scene to the next. Towards the end, it felt more like the literary version of a slasher movie, with each page offering up another creative way to die.

Once again, it was clear that Katniss would survive. There were some surprises, and I appreciate that Collins did not feel it necessary to serve up a sugary sweet happy ending. On the other hand, by end, I cared little about Katniss or any of the other characters for that matter. With the first two books, I hated to see them come to an end. With this one, it took all of my energy to cross the finish line.

No comments: