Saturday, September 4, 2010

Oops, forgot one!

Medium Raw, by Anthony Bourdain. I listened to this book, which was read by the author. Just like Kitchen Confidential, it was full of delicious tidbits about the restaurant industry, celebrity chefs, and fine eating and drinking. Just like the earlier book, it was full of profanity and honesty--Bourdain is quite open about the lifestyle he led in the past as a druggie who squandered the splendid opportunities he had, but who somehow, luckily, landed on his feet, earning millions for his writing efforts. It was good, at least good enough. I was not quite as enamored with this one, but the description of the food in some of the Far-Eastern countries was enough to make me think that given a chance, I might just try chicken ass. Plus, I have a new appreciation for Justo and others like him. Justo cleans and filets fish for one of the fancy New York restaurants. It's easy to forget that there are millions of people who aren't educated professionals, working in well-appointed surroundings. Nonetheless, they do their jobs well and with a committment to perfection that is to be emulated. Justo is paid well, but how many others likehim go unappreciated?

Reading (Nook): The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Listening: I, Claudius

I'm also reminded how undeveloped my palate is and how little I know about fine food. On the other hand, I like what I like, and canned tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich might not be to everyone's liking, but they taste good to me.

No comments: